Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Big Project Update...

Just when I thought I could strip, stain, and makeover my kitchen...drum roll please!

I hit a snag.

I know, you are all thinking that it is not a big deal. Everyone runs into snags when doing a remodel, a redecorate, or anything that involves fixing something that should be pretty simple. Well not us. We are the ones who bought our dream house for a fresh start to our new marriage and our new life together. Once we moved into our home, we decided that we should replace the roof the following year because it was leaking. We are the ones who had the contractor from hell who ripped off our existing roof during a torrential downpour. We are the ones who came home to find our belongings floating because there was six inches of water floating in our living room. We are the ones who got the phone call that one of the roofers fell into our bedroom from the roof. So forgive me when I say that if anything can go wrong in our house...it will.

I took all of the doors off of my upper kitchen cabinets. I was so happy that I was not going to have a blue kitchen anymore. I was going to have beautiful wooden cabinets that I stained myself and saved a huge amount of money. Now here is where the snag comes in. Are you ready???

I stained the first 6 doors only to find out that the doors are not the same wood from one cabinet to the other. The stain that I applied seriously looks like crap. For some reason the grain of the wood for whatever reason is extremely different on all of the doors and the grain for some reason took on a really light highlight when the rest of the stain is really dark. It seriously looks as if it is a hair highlighting job gone bad.

So I sit here contemplating what color to paint my cabinets because in addition to the staining fiasco I have found that the bottom cabinets are paint grade cabinets only. So as you can see, painting is my only option. Well not really my only option, I can pay someone a thousand dollars to order me new doors and still have problems because the cabinet itself will not match. Ugh! I am so frustrated. I want to close my eyes, cross my arms, and wiggle my nose and have my kitchen be done. Anyone have a magic lamp and one wish that I can have?

3 comments:

Danine said...

BFH will take care of all those problems and then just live out of cardboard boxes or just stack everything on the floor. we're short it'll be simplier! I'm more than willing to bring my BFH and help out, lol

Sorry Kel to hear of your problems but you know who shares them with ya!

Nicole said...

Sounds a little like us too! Sorry to hear that you are frustrated and now stuck with having to paint the cabinets & doors after all that hard work. I was wondering how it went - now I know! NOT GOOD! Well, good luck with your decision. Can't wait to see pics when all is said and FINALLY done. :o) Love ya!

Suzie said...

OK, REALLY???? YOU ARE GOING TO LET A MONTH GO BY WITHOUT POSTING???? HELLO?!?!?!?! HOW IS YOUR SISTER THAT LIVES RRRRRREEEEEAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYY FAR AWAY SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE EVER SO CHANGING HOUSE....

TIME FOR AN UPDATE!

PLEASE & THANK YOU!
LOVE YOU BIG SIS!